In analyzing your practice, a key area to assess is your compliance with employment law. Employers who find themselves with disgruntled and an unhappy work force realize productivity is down and labor costs are up. Historically, practices find themselves in an ongoing conflict between the Employer and the Employee. Avoid "cracks" in your business's foundation with this timely training program and policy development.
We work closely with Doctors and Office Managers. Let our team of experts provide your business with assistance complying with employment law including:
- Title VII of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (EEOC)
- Tennessee Human Rights Act to avoid employment discrimination
Topics include discrimination based on
- National origin
- Age (over 40), and
- "Disparate impact" where the violation may not have been intentional but had an impact on a protected class
- Avoid policies that cause a "reverse discrimination" where it cost one employer a $500,000 settlement for having overlooked a few employees for a job promotion due to race
Other topics addressed:
- Sexual Harassment
- "Hostile" Work Environment
- Federal Pregnancy Discrimination Act & TCA 4-21-408
- Equal Pay Act (TCA 50-2-201 thru 207)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (Title VIII – 15 employees; TN Human Rights Act -8 employees)
- Wage Regulation Act (TCA 50-2-103(d)
Practices with 2 or more employees are required to have state and federal posters displayed. This includes family-owned and non-profit businesses. You may download the posters:
Click here for Tennessee Department of Labor: http://www.tn.gov/labor-wfd/poster.htm
Click here for Federal Department of Labor: http://www.dol.gov/oasam/programs/osdbu/sbrefa/poster/matrix.htm
Other states: Go to your State's Department of Labor website.
For TN space saver (small fee involved), contact the Tennessee Dental Association firstname.lastname@example.org.
The legal perspective of having an Employer's Handbook is to reduce the risk of litigation in the areas of discrimination, breach of an implied contract and harassment. Benefits are not required such as paid vacation, holidays, severance pay, sick pay or health insurance. (TCA 50-2-103(3)). However, based on a survey of the private industry, 91% of employers offer paid vacation.
Let our consultants assist you in developing policies that address
- Employee Classification
- Cell Phones, Texting, Internet Use
- Continuing Education (Do I pay the employees for attending a CEU class?)
- Tardiness and Absenteeism
- Paid Time Off or Sick Days & Vacation Days
Policy development includes the Employer's Handbook, Personnel Records and Employment Forms. (Available as a paper copy and digital format)
Larger companies staff an HR Manager that directs employees on company policies and retains key documentation. If you have a small business with 25 or less employees, likely you will find that outsourcing your HR is a more affordable solution to having access to a team of experts. This level of compliance includes:
- Employer's Handbook
- Training on Practice Policies
- Sexual Harassment Training
- Presence During Employee Action
- Assistance with Performance Reviews
- Assistance with Exit Interviews
- Dealing with Difficult Employees
- Documentation Retention of Personnel Records
- Online Access for Employee's Paid Time Off
- Background Screenings
This package may be "bundled" with OSHA and HIPAA services.
Focus on patient care and call Modern Practice Solutions to assist you with your human resource – personnel management department. (931) 232-7738 or Olivia@modernpracticesol.com
"Viewing this site or using Modern Practice Solutions' consulting services does not constitute legal advice. If legal assistance is required, the services of a competent attorney or expert should be sought."